Who I Am
I left school and home at age 16 to be a journalist; wandered the world, discovered my life mission – to make organisations fit for humans and help equip people to survive and prosper in organisations.
For most of my career I have been a Professor at London Business School. My lifetime achievements include:
- The first scholar to apply evolutionary theory and thought to the world of business and management
- Expert in diverse areas – health & performance, employee relations, life & career transitions, leadership development, family business, and evolutionary theory (< 20 published books and 200 articles).
- Educational innovation: designed and directed the legendary Proteus Programme at LBS plus numerous life-changing executive courses
- Consultant and advisor: to companies, boards, families, and individuals
- Personal coach to political & business leaders
We face a constant challenge of adaptation to a changing world and the people in it. We do this in two ways: innovation & agility. Innovation means shaping and selecting contexts and relationships to suit ourselves. Agility means developing skills and mind-sets to deal with new circumstances
To be effective in doing this we need three things:
- Self-knowledge & self-control
- Deep insight in to the people and circumstances we face and which may arise in the future
- Competences, skills, strategies, routines, and ideas that we can use to make the right moves
This is my Effective Adaptation Formula: To be the right person/group/organisation, at the right time and place, doing the right thing.
This is challenging for individuals, groups and organisations. You will find on this site Sources and Services I can offer to help master these challenges.